These light, moist muffins are packed with fall flavors. Fill your muffin cups almost to the top for beautifully puffed muffins. Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods Market.
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil
- 2 tablespoons green pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 375°F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseeds, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, pumpkin, yogurt, brown sugar, molasses and oil. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture just until combined.
Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each almost full. Sprinkle tops with pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds and bake until tops are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of each muffin comes out with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and serve, or transfer to a wire rack to cook completely and store in an airtight container up to 2 days.