Serve this salad, a refreshing alternative to mayonnaise-based tuna salads, on its own or spoon into a whole grain pita for lunch or a light supper.
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods Market.
- 3/4 pound fresh or frozen and thawed yellowfin tuna steaks, cut into chunks
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts or other sprouts
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
Arrange a rack in the oven about 6 inches from the heating element and preheat broiler. Arrange tuna on a large, foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer and broil, stirring once or twice, until cooked through and browned in parts, 4 to 5 minutes; set aside to let cool.
In a large bowl, toss together tuna, avocado, pepper, sprouts, pineapple, onion and lime juice and serve.