Chorizo is a spicy sausage traditionally made with pork and seasoned with garlic, chili powder and other spices. Rich, spicy and hearty, this crowd pleaser is a one-dish meal perfect for dinner after a busy day.
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods Market.
- 1 pound fresh chorizo sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups medium or long grain rice
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (about 3/4 cup) (not packed in oil), diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 4 cups packed)
Preheat a Dutch oven or heavy deep skillet over medium high. Squeeze sausage from casing into pan, crumbling it into small pieces. Add onion and cook until chorizo is browned around edges and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, rice, sun-dried tomatoes, smoked paprika and oregano. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is toasted and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in broth and cover pan. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, until rice is just tender. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, still covered, to allow rice to fully absorb liquid. Remove cover, add spinach and toss to combine. Serve immediately.